Friday, June 26, 2009

The Aftermath of a Bad Day

It's almost 1pm and I've done nothing with the day so far. The hospital called me at 8:50am wanting to know how they could help. They want me to take him to the therapist they suggested a few weeks ago and get him on the antidepressant. I don't know why but every fiber of my being says "NO" to the antidepressant. I told the doctor who prescribed it about ONE incidence and she slapped another diagnosis on him and a med.

I just don't think that from one incident you can claim someone has clinical depression. Maybe I'm wrong and making a poor decision for my son. But I have never liked this doctor's attitude. All she really does is handle his medicine and every two months we sit and talk about how it's working and then she sends me home with a prescription.

He needs a second opinion because I need someone to listen better. I need someone who cares instead of sitting there with a bored look on her face. I need someone who sees us as a family in crisis instead of "just another kid with Autism and ADHD." I hesitate to take her referral too because I doubt her judgment and motivation at this point.

Today, I'm tired. Mentally I'm exhausted. My body hurts. My shoulders feel like someone is pushed down on me (I like to think it's the weight of my world...). I am supposed to be working on getting this birthday party together for tomorrow. A party I don't want to have, for a kid who doesn't seem to care about anything and doesn't behave well enough to make it seem worthwhile.

Today is a different day. Mr. Autism is not as agitated. But he is intent on driving his siblings crazy. I have not yelled but I seriously feel like I'm losing or have already lost the battle for control with him.

How do you control your other children when they can clearly see that you have one who is "wild" in every sense of the word?

Why can't one thing work for all kids? And where did the user manual for this model of boy go?

*UPDATE*

The hospital just called again. They want me to put him on the Celexa. She thinks his behavior is related to his anxiety. We'll see I guess.

I thought I hit post before nap time but I didn't...

No comments:

Post a Comment